I know many people do blogs to express their inner most thoughts and dreams. They take inspiring pictures and ponder their existence on earth. While those thoughts do cross my mind on many occasions, right now, I just want to complain.
It seems as if all the politeness and etiquette has gone from the world. I've talked to many people lately who share my concern. Not only is there a lack of concern for larger issues like the future of our country but there is a lack of concern for other people in day to day interactions.
Although this has been a reoccurring issue for us it has been magnified the last couple weeks. What am I talking about? Well, selling things on Craigslist of coarse.
We recently purchased a new bedroom set so we have been trying to sell our old one. I cannot tell you how many times I answered my cell phone to set up an appointment for them to see the furniture only to have them not show up. In several of those instances I've rearranged my schedule just to be home at a certain time. They don't even have the common courtesy to take 1 minute out of their apparently busy day to call and say they cannot come. This has happened at least 4 times in the course of selling this furniture. In addition to that, people would call or e-mail to say they are desparate to buy our set and have the money in hand. But wait, they can't come today so I'll definately call tomorrow to set up a time. Did I get a call back from them? Absolutely not. I even had a cooresponse with one lady who ended up sending me at least six e-mails but never could make it to see the set.
Don't get me wrong, we've had really good success selling things on Craigslist but there is such a lack of respect for other people that it scares me. Some might say I'm streching to use this as an example of what's wrong with our world today but it's all in how we treat one another. If there was ever a time to pray, it is now.
On another note: I think it is so rude for business to have items on their sales floor but not have any additional stock in the back room. This past weekend our stove died so we went shopping for a new one. After visiting two stores and doing some research on-line we found one at Lowes we wanted to buy. Only to find out that it would take 14 days to get it. Well, we have three kids and our stove is completely dead so what are we supposed to do. I told the guy we would have to take our business elsewhere. So, we headed to Sears and found another one we really liked. Do you think they had it in stock? Of course not. It would be three weeks before they got any. So, we left and we to West Coast Appliance (a warehouse type of store) and ended up finding an even better one with a little dent on the back so they discounted it and had it delivered within two hours. How to businesses expect to sell things if they don't have anything in stock? I realize times are tough and they may not have the extra money to have excess inventory but do they think people can go weeks without a stove?
Ok, I guess I got really passionate about this because I rattled on and on. Sorry for the long post but sometimes you just have to get things off your chest. Have a wonderful day!
1 comment:
Matt, you are absolutly correct about the rudeness in the world today. Somewhere a generation of parental teachings got lost and people don't even know that they should be polite and curteous to other people. I am proud that you know the difference. As for the "service" industry. It is almost non-existent. I am surprised that Lowes did not have an item in stock, but not Sears. This is the way they do business, don't keep stock in the store, but warehouse it so it can be moved to different locations. Not handy.
Pop
Post a Comment