Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Commander Mark

I recently took a trip down memory lane and it was a good trip. For those my age (and maybe their parents) you may remember a great show on PBS in the late 80's to early 90's called Secret City. This show was my first exposure to art. This show taught me some of the basics of drawing such as shading and how to draw in 3-D. While I don't have a natural artistic talent I did retain a lot of the things I learned on that show. The host was Commander Mark and I remember him being a pretty funny guy who had such an imagination to create the things he did. He is no Michelangelo but makes great stuff for kids.

Now, fast forward 20 or so years.

A month or so ago I turned on PBS on Saturday morning for the kids. We found a show called Imagination Station hosted by a guy named Mark Kistler. It was a drawing show and the kids really enjoyed watching it. After a couple weeks the kids wanted to draw along with him. So, we started all drawing together on the couch while watching the show.

I went to youtube to find a clip of the show to post on this blog and discovered that Commander Mark and Mark Kistler are one in the same. What a surprise. I don't know why I didn't put two and two together. He does look a lot different. So, I ended up watching a bunch on old clips from Secret City. Those were the days.

That was a pretty long description of what these pictures are but I wanted to share my trip. Some of you may take that trip with me. We have since found a better surface to draw on. I've also convinced Autumn to use a smaller pencil.






Here are a couple youtube links to the old show and the new one.

Secret City with Commander Mark



Imagination Station with Mark Kistler

No comments: