Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Post #2 "going green to save some green" Kleenex

Ok, so I'm a total novice apparently. The pics have all loaded backwards, so start this post at the bottom!!

This is my final product, shown folded in half and displayed in a cutie basket I found at a thrift shop. We put this right next to the regular box of tissue, and serves as a good reminder that we don't always need to use a throw away product! After continued use my tips are: These need to be unfolded and flat for laundering, otherwise they stick closed and don't come clean. The second thing is with continual use the fabric can get irritating to the skin. I don't know if it is any worse than with paper tissue, but thought I would mention it. It's probably the same reason they say not to use microfiber against babies skin in cloth diapering. A little chaffing I guess. Definitely softer for occasional use unlike when I had a cold and used about 30 of these in the same day.

I cut each big square into fourths, and sewed the two edges that didn't have serging already to prevent fraying.


In the beginning they were: Microfiber cleaning cloths. I found these at Target for 2.18 in the auto section. (they have since done a price increase to 8.99!!) Guess I got lucky! These are premium weight, so very thick compared to some.




So in my efforts to save money I have also been looking for ways to cut out more of the disposables in our house. This is a very "Green" thing to do anyway, but my primary reason is to save $. I am finding these efforts creative and crafty and has turned into a hobby of sorts. So this idea was not original to me, but sort of derived from the cloth diapering community. Lots of cloth diapering families also use cloth wipes (I made some months ago, and use them for the "clean" diaper changes just to keep Hollie fresh smelling :-) So this is the same idea, but for noses! And for the laundry aspect, It really is a mute point in my opinion as I wash nearly every day anyway.

No comments: