Monday, December 21, 2009

New Garage built this summer!

Well, after 9 years in this house we finally decided to do what we've wanted to do since day one! This past summer we added a garage onto the house! After many many many hours of work we got the final inspection and approval on 9/14/09. We have done most of the organizing inside but once school started the time to do things is limited so we still have a few more things to do and shelves the hang up. We absolutely love it though! It was well worth the time and money. Now that winter is here Dawn loves just driving into the garage and not worrying about everyone getting wet to go inside. The pictures are in the opposite order it wanted so you get to see the progress in reverse.




It's a tight fit but the trailer fits! We added sewer service, water and electricity to that corner of the garage to have full hookups for the trailer. We're ready for visitors!





Hard at work putting in the driveway!


They had to dig deep to get some big roots out. So deep that they hit the brand new sewer line I put in! They fixed it like new!



I had to put drywall up on the wall against the house to pass inspection. Since I did that I went ahead and put insulation and drywall in the whole thing.



This wall is now solid cabinets. Somebody tore out their kitchen and we found them all at a yard sale for $60.


The kids loved to help whenever they could.


Installing the siding. It was really high (about 15' up). I had to watch the power line and phone cable on this side.





The frame is up!



Since we were doing this work we took the opportunity to replace the entire sewer line from the house to the street. It's a blessing because we've had a lot of trouble with this line (from the second bathroom). This section was done after the slab was poured.


Digging up the old sewer line. It was fun! Unfortunately I had to take the tractor back and fill in the trench by hand. I had help for that!

The window you see is Noah's room. Unfortunately we had to wall it up but he still has a big window in front. The part where the paint is what is where the door is now going into the house.

We had to move that shed over from the other side of the yard.



We're so happy with our investment. We hired a contractor to do the excavation, slab, framing, doors and windows but everything else was sweat equity. With the help of a few people (Dan, who is Dawn's dad, Matt, who is Dawn's brother, Mike, a friend and even my dad Don who I put to work when he came from Ohio for a visit) we did all the siding, electrical, plumping (including the sewer lines), insulation, drywall, roofing and finish work all by ourselves. We still have to paint it for practical puposes we're all done!

1 comment:

Peter and Sarah said...

Hi Matt and Dawn! Good to see your blog! I love keeping up with friends this way - I just added you to my google reader. Wow - that garage looks great, but also like a lot of work. Great job!!!

-Peter